Update

More photos of the wreakage.  
The most recent project - the flooring we're taking out near the back door.  
We're lucky that the boards are coming up easily.  We'd love to save them.  
Before we do we need to clean out under the house, fix the floor joist,
figure how to best insulate and then pick the new flooring.

. . . . . . . . . 

{ August 2012 }

{ End of October 2012 }

{ First New Window }

. . . . . . . . .  

{ Bathroom -  August 2012 }
Small, quaint, disgusting . . .  Yeah, no one is fooled by the "marble" walls

{ Bathroom - November 2012 }
Bright, Open, Airy.  I'm starting to like it!

. . . . . . . . . 

{ Kitchen - August 2012 }
A tight hallway.  This view is from the bathroom.  
To the left is a disgusting utility closet.  To the right is a disgusting regular closet.

{ Kitchen - November 2012 }

. . . . . . . . . 

In the photo below I'm standing where there used to be a wall
separating the kitchen from the front room.  
Directly ahead is a slim wall - to the left are the two front rooms.  
To the right is the rest of the kitchen and the bathroom.

. . . . . . . . . 

{ More Court Yard }
This time I had help from Tasha.  To be continued next year.

. . . . . . . . . 

In the three-ish months we've owned this building I'm already having fun looking back at the before and afters.  In October of 2011 who knew my future included me buying a 175 year old piece of poo and polishing it into a gem.  

Seriously, If anyone told me last year that my husband and I would be going on double dates with my parents - to Menards - to shop for roofing - I'd say they were crazy.  

And let's face it - If I knew that in a years time I'd be carefully posing a Batman doll and taking multiple photos of it (AND posting them online - geez) I would have guessed I was the crazy one.

Just goes to show you - what a difference a year can make!

And the walls . . . come tumbling down . . . and the walls . . .

This weekend walls came down and the ground came up.  

When Adam and I met with our dads on Tuesday and I saw this . . .

well, I gulped hard and thought, " this ISN'T what I want?  How is this going to be anything at all?  How stupid were we to spend the money (and three weekends) installing a roof on this dump"  But at the end of the visit we had a vision again.

Fast forward through the rest of the week, a week where Adam and a handful of guys put in some time and muscle, and things look decidedly different.  I arrived on Saturday just in time to capture Adam and his dad tearing down a wall (video to be uploaded later, when I have Adam figure it out for me)

Still, here's a photo of the new area.  I'm standing at the back door (in the kitchen).  To the left used to be a wall that separated the front room from the kitchen.  

And it didn't freak out one bit.

Our plans right now include building a bar and kitchenette to the right.  To the left will be tables for people to relax as they look through albums of invitations.

On Sunday I intended to work a few hours.  Just picking up random pieces of shingles, moving all the bricks to one pile.  I began by moving the trash cans and sweeping off the back stoop.  According to the historic documents, at one time there was a bricked courtyard at 55 North Main.  So here and there we see bricks in the yard.  It's a real conversation starter.  

. . . .

"wouldn't it be awesome if we could uncover the bricks?"

"could you imagine this ALL being brick?"

"what if the whole property is bricked?  You'd never have to mow the grass - cuz, there wouldn't be grass.  It would be BRICK"

. . . .

So I'm sweeping the stoop and the random bricks around the stoop.  The loose grass moves easily and suddenly I'm seeing a LOT more of the bricks.  After all, this is the first time I've swept the stoop.  It was looking pretty good.  I thought I'd pull a few weeds around some of the bricks to get back a little of that charm.  One thing led to another.  

Seven hours later I went from this . . . 

to THIS

If you notice in the picture above you'll see white material near the bricks.  This paneling came from inside the house and was laid over the grass to catch all the roofing refuse.  Since the roofing project took three weeks the paneling stayed in the yard for three weeks.  Well, the paneling not only did the intended job - it kept the grass underneth stagnet and moist which was the perfect condition to scrape away the ground from the brick.  By the way I did this using only a plastic dustpan, occasionally a crowbar (and plenty of trips with the wheelbarrow).

The beauty of this is that the guys laid the pieces of paneling in exactly the same path of the brick.  It couldn't have been planned any better.  The path is edged with the brick set in a different direction so I know that there is a definate path and the whole yard it's not entirely brick.  Believe me, I was pretty happy when I hit that edging.  I was worried that I was going to have to keep going, and going and going.  

The path leads to the summer kitchen, though things start getting spotty near the end.  There seems to be a good amount of brick around the back of the house so potentially the brick extends back there as well.  I probably won't get to that before the snow flies but it's a good future project for me.

Today I'm going to rest my body.  I'm not used to such labor!

Of course Batman took most of the credit
(that jerk, he's starting to get on my nerves)