And the walls . . . come tumbling down . . . and the walls . . .

This weekend walls came down and the ground came up.  

When Adam and I met with our dads on Tuesday and I saw this . . .

well, I gulped hard and thought, " this ISN'T what I want?  How is this going to be anything at all?  How stupid were we to spend the money (and three weekends) installing a roof on this dump"  But at the end of the visit we had a vision again.

Fast forward through the rest of the week, a week where Adam and a handful of guys put in some time and muscle, and things look decidedly different.  I arrived on Saturday just in time to capture Adam and his dad tearing down a wall (video to be uploaded later, when I have Adam figure it out for me)

Still, here's a photo of the new area.  I'm standing at the back door (in the kitchen).  To the left used to be a wall that separated the front room from the kitchen.  

And it didn't freak out one bit.

Our plans right now include building a bar and kitchenette to the right.  To the left will be tables for people to relax as they look through albums of invitations.

On Sunday I intended to work a few hours.  Just picking up random pieces of shingles, moving all the bricks to one pile.  I began by moving the trash cans and sweeping off the back stoop.  According to the historic documents, at one time there was a bricked courtyard at 55 North Main.  So here and there we see bricks in the yard.  It's a real conversation starter.  

. . . .

"wouldn't it be awesome if we could uncover the bricks?"

"could you imagine this ALL being brick?"

"what if the whole property is bricked?  You'd never have to mow the grass - cuz, there wouldn't be grass.  It would be BRICK"

. . . .

So I'm sweeping the stoop and the random bricks around the stoop.  The loose grass moves easily and suddenly I'm seeing a LOT more of the bricks.  After all, this is the first time I've swept the stoop.  It was looking pretty good.  I thought I'd pull a few weeds around some of the bricks to get back a little of that charm.  One thing led to another.  

Seven hours later I went from this . . . 

to THIS

If you notice in the picture above you'll see white material near the bricks.  This paneling came from inside the house and was laid over the grass to catch all the roofing refuse.  Since the roofing project took three weeks the paneling stayed in the yard for three weeks.  Well, the paneling not only did the intended job - it kept the grass underneth stagnet and moist which was the perfect condition to scrape away the ground from the brick.  By the way I did this using only a plastic dustpan, occasionally a crowbar (and plenty of trips with the wheelbarrow).

The beauty of this is that the guys laid the pieces of paneling in exactly the same path of the brick.  It couldn't have been planned any better.  The path is edged with the brick set in a different direction so I know that there is a definate path and the whole yard it's not entirely brick.  Believe me, I was pretty happy when I hit that edging.  I was worried that I was going to have to keep going, and going and going.  

The path leads to the summer kitchen, though things start getting spotty near the end.  There seems to be a good amount of brick around the back of the house so potentially the brick extends back there as well.  I probably won't get to that before the snow flies but it's a good future project for me.

Today I'm going to rest my body.  I'm not used to such labor!

Of course Batman took most of the credit
(that jerk, he's starting to get on my nerves)